How to change website name?
Yes! You read that correctly!
I don’t want to deceive you, or confuse you, so let me start out by telling you exactly what I mean by this, and then I will give exact step by step instructions about how to get it done!
What do I mean?
My daughter, Sara, is a direct seller of essential oils with Young Living. Young Living provides their direct sellers with a website that they can use to sell the oils. Here is the website link that Sara got….
I have seen much worse urls, but this particular one is hard enough to remember.
So, I suggested to Sara that we “change” that website name to a prettier looking one…. here is what she is using now…
If you click on both of the above links, you will see that they both go to Sara’s Young Living website.
So, How do you do this yourself?
I will take you step by step through setting this up for yourself.
The technical term for what we are going to do is to “redirect” the Website link to a new domain name.
1. You will need a domain name (like the EssentialOilsWithSara.com domain name that we chose). You can get a domain name for roughly $10.00 to $12.00 per year. you can search and buy a domain name from a domain registrar. I use GoDaddy, so the images here will be from there. (the link in the previous sentence goes straight to their site).
2. After purchasing your domain through the domain registrar, you will be able to manage your domains. You might just have one, but that’s OK. Choose Domains / Manage My Domain
3. Click on the domain name that you want to redirect to
4. Scroll down to the forwarding section, and click on “manage”
5. Click to “Add One Now”
6. Fill out your forwarding information. You will be forwarding the ugly website name to the new pretty website name (the domain name that we are managing).
That’s it!!! You’re done! The rediected website name will work almost instantaneously!